The CNC & Weld Operator is responsible for operating a CNC machine, robotic and/or straight welders to build component parts to company specifications and customer expectations consistent with Bilstein’s quality and productivity standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a safe working environment by complying with all safety and environmental policies in the workplace. Advocates for and promotes a safe work environment by reporting Near Misses and/or other safety and environmental hazards, wearing all required PPE and encouraging others to do the same.
- Loads parts, operates controls, sets offsets, performs simple edits and inspects of quality parts for conformance to print requirements.
- Interprets drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence of operations and setup requirements.
- Welds in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Applies filler rod manually to supply weld metal.
- Cleans or degreases weld joint or work piece.
- Identifies proper welds and makes repairs to broken or cracked parts.
- Identifies proper symmetry and makes adjustments to fixtures as needed.
- Prepares broken parts for welding by grooving or scarfing surfaces.
- Chips off excess weld, slag, and spatter.
- Preheats work piece with hand torch or heating furnace.
- Positions and clamps work pieces together or assembles them in jig or fixture.
- Positions and secures tools in tool holders on turret and cross slide.
- Positions and secures work piece in chuck or to faceplate.
- Identifies discrepant materials/components both in writing and verbally to supervisor.
- Completes tasks as directed by manufacturing schedules and within standard times.
- Ensures compliance and safety of all activities within the organization standards and policies.
- Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience
- Demonstrated ability to identity incomplete weld penetrations and lack of fusion on welds.
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment with demonstrated ability to operate a CNC machine.
- Demonstrates a strong customer focus along with a great work ethic and willingness to do what needs to be done (without taking shortcuts)
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic math, including working with decimals, and strong mechanical aptitude.
- Experience using basic hand tools and measuring devices such as calipers and to work with any/all specified tolerances. Experience reading a decimal chart and simple/complex drawings to verify product identification and requirements.
- Possesses a logical method of problem solving and willingness to learn and improve one’s skills. Demonstrates a strong commitment to meet and exceed customer requirements at all times.
- Possesses good hand-eye coordination and is able to perform detailed work with a strong attention to detail and quality.
- Position is required to be able to to work required overtime that can be substantial during peak customer production periods.
- Position is required to be able to lift up to 40 pounds, perform repetitious duties and walk or stand for long periods of time on a daily basis.
- Position is required to read and understand blue prints and work instructions.
- Demonstrated reliability, good initiative, committed, and quality focused.
- Highly organized with ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Exhibits integrity through fair and ethical behaviors in all activities; maintains accountability for performance.
- Strong attention to detail with well-developed organizational and communication skills.
- Proven experience developing work processes to improve outcomes for the team/customers.
- Possesses a stable work history, preferably in a manufacturing environment, and a strong personal desire to work safely and maintain a safe working environment.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
This is us – your new employer
Our Automotive Technology business is passionate about the automotive industry and produces as well as markets high-tech automotive components worldwide. With over 20,000 employees, we are responsible for the success of this business. Our product and service range includes chassis technologies such as steering and damper systems and the assembly of axle systems as well as powertrain components for conventional and alternative engines. We also develop assembly systems for body-in-white construction and produce lightweight car body components in series.
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc. is a world class manufacturer of suspension solutions headquartered in Hamilton, Ohio USA. thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America supplies products to a wide range of Original Equipment Automotive Manufacturers as well as Aftermarket and Motorsports.
We value diversity
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age and veteran status or any other protected status required by applicable law.
Applicants with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation in connection with the application process are encouraged to contact us directly.