Join the newest successful Formula One team! At Rich Energy Haas F1 Team, we are looking to grow our team and have an exciting position available in our Aerodynamics Department. This is an opportunity for experienced and team-oriented individuals to make a substantial impact within a small, fast-paced team.
We are a young, dynamic, and expanding team that is building an open, discursive environment full of opportunities for motivated individuals pursing a challenge. Rich Energy Haas F1 Team is designed to allow the best and brightest talent to excel within the premier form of racing in the world. The team debuted in the FIA Formula One World Championship in 2016, becoming the first American-led Formula One team since 1986. Founded by industrialist Gene Haas, the team is based in Kannapolis, North Carolina, USA, with team operations in Banbury, UK and Parma, Italy. Now in our fourth season, we have proven to be competitive with a uniquely-designed team who have quickly demonstrated our desire to win!
Reports to the Principal Aerodynamicist. Management of one of the departmental Aerodynamic Development Groups. Responsible for implementation of the department best practice aerodynamic development process. Key focus on wind tunnel model preparation, testing quality, data analysis, and CAD. Ensures preparation of timely reports and summaries of analysis from wind tunnel, track, and CFD studies.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a group of Aerodynamicists and Designers in a Development Group.
- Mentor and guide members with less experience.
- Write procedures and test plans.
- Create production documentation for test parts.
- Create reports to communicate findings.
- Analyze aerodynamic modelling (experimental & numerical simulation) results, and synthesize alternative designs.
- Direct or undertake surface definition and concept scheming.
- Direct or undertake model part design.
- Participate in wind tunnel testing, coordinating all aspects necessary for a successful test.
- Ensure the Group adheres to departmental best practice standards for wind tunnel test preparation, testing, and data analysis.
- Develop aerodynamic analysis tools.
- Develop high-quality aerodynamic measurement capability.
- Analyze and specify wind tunnel and model systems.
- Follow and maintain safety standards in all venue.
- Assume any responsibilities delegated by his or her seniors.
Education and Work Experience:
A degree in a relevant engineering discipline. Typically requires at least 7 years of experience in similar roles in the automobile racing industry.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
Proficient computer skills. Proven experience with CFD software and 3D CAD software. Understanding of aerodynamics and fluid analysis. Understanding of thermodynamics. Knowledge of structural analysis and vehicle dynamics. Able to understand, model, and create a part or device. Strong written and oral communication skills in Italian and English preferred, teamwork, and people skills.
Equipment and Applications:
Computer with Microsoft Office and engineering packages including but not limited to, wind tunnel, basic hand tools, fabrication tools. Data Acquisition experience is helpful.
Work Environment Physical Demands:
Capable of lifting to 50 pounds and have manual dexterity. May require repeated bending and squatting. Able to work long hours and flexible work schedule. Able to handle stressful situations. Fast-paced work environment requiring heavy mental demands. Work environment includes race cars, 7-Post equipment, heavy machinery, grinding debris, and hazardous fluids.